Ok, so this will seem rambling and incomplete. As soon as I click “submit” there will be other observations popping in my head.
How good can this team be? To me it will come down to play of the QB (more on that below), ability to stop the run (which sucked last year) and their ability to stay healthy.
– Defense (again, if healthy) is good enough to win the conference. No doubt. They look awesome. Also need Gregory to coach them well. Again, need the right schemes to stop the run.
Quarterback – not terribly impressed with anyone, yet. Right now I think Morris is gritty, has a quick release, and is a good passer of short and intermediate routes. Definitely not one of the all time greats. Hoping his work ethic allows him to improve.
– O’Brien actually looked as good as Morris to me today. I think this could be a battle if the coaches will allow.
– Huard is a baby. Hard to tell right now. But I will say that his arc, touch, and accuracy on deep balls is excellent. Better than Morris.
Running back – Deep bench. Love this group. I don’t see a star like Gaskin, Sankey or Polk. At least not yet. Watching Cam Davis.
O-line – Really want to love this group, but they give up a ton of sacks in practice. I’m very hopeful that the beating they’re taking now will pay off this year.
WRs – Catch the damn ball. Too many drops” Haven’t heard too much about Taj Davis but today he looked as good as anyone, at least to me. Polk also looked good. If they can catch then we might be OK.
TEs – Need another couple guys to emerge to help Otton, who belongs in the NFL. Stud. Lots of guys flashing. But I saw inconsistency here today
OLBs – OK, football gods. You took Latu and ZTF. NO MORE PLEASE! If healthy I think this group can still generate lots of heat from the edge.
– Calvert got time at OLB and leveled Jay’veon Sunday on one play. Really hope he overcomes injuries
ILBs – BBK was great because he could see where the RB would go, and he had a burst to get there first and make the tackle at the line of scrimmage. I don’t think Sirmon has that quick mental recognition or the burst to make the tackle upfield. Instead he makes the tackle after the RB has gained 4 yards.
– Ulofoshio is a stud
– Heimuli got time with the ones, which is encouraging because last year when he played he looked unready for college football.
– Hoping Ah You or Tafisi or a Tupuola or somebody else can push Sirmon
Defensive backs – Lots of talent here. Was really encouraged (and surprised) by guys like Esteen and Elijah Jackson.
– Cam Williams looked good today.
– Jacobe Covington looked good today
– Again, just seems like there is good young talent here.
– Radley-Hiles is a gift