Not sure if anyone has posted this here but the “4th And Inches” podcast interviewed a writer who covered Penn State while Donovan was the OC and asked him to talk about what he thought of Donovan. I’ll summarize what he said in bullet points below. I’m not making any judgements about how much of this is accurate… just relaying info. So fuck off.
– PSU was pretty pretty fucked talent-wise from sanctions. They had Hackenberg but they only had 1 scholarship offensive lineman and the line gave up 84 sacks in his two years there.
– While they wanted to run a pro-style offense the O Line forced them into an offense the relied on getting the ball out of the QBs hands quickly. Even with a quick pass offense Hackenberg only averaged a 58% completion percentage.
– They wanted to run a pro-style offense that takes shots downfield with a QB who can move in the pocket.
– Donovan was a recruiting coordinator at Maryland and Franklin really emphasizes recruiting so the assumption is that Donovan will be a good recruiter.
– He thinks that Donovan’s time at Vanderbilt is more indicative of his abilities as a schemer/play-caller.