just watched the 2015 penn state ohio state game. Really hard to take anything away from it because:
1. saquon was so dominant
2. their qb might be the worst qb I’ve ever seen play
3. James Franklin was the one calling plays
despite that there seems to be a couple of really bad red flags.
1. they only scored 10 points despite saquon being a man amongst boys running for 200 yds
2. Nothing good ever happened because of scheme. When something good did happen it was because one of their athletes simply made a play.
3. assuming Franklin called plays their whole time together we’re essentially getting a first time coordinator which is alarming to say the least.
I think Donovon called the plays at Vandy but when they went to PSU Franklin inserted himself more. Christian Hackenberg told reporter he wasn’t sure who was calling the plays Franklin or Donovon which implies Franklin was stepping in a lot.
After watching vanderbilts game against ole miss in 2013 I’m even more concerned.
A lot of the same things I hated about Petersens offense are employed in Donovons scheme. lots of tight formations. Most plays had 9 sometimes 10 guys in the box. Probably 70% of passes were within 5 yds of the line of scrimmage. Lots of swing passes. (I think I’ve heard psu fans say thats what they hated about his offense when he was there). Not a lot of in game adjustments being made.
I can see why Franklin didn’t trust him with the offense when they went to penn st. I really hope he’s learned a lot from his time in the NFL because if not he wont make it to his 3rd year at Washington.